THE WAYWORDS PODCAST
Anonymous: “Fowls in the Frith”
Foweles in the frith,
The fisses in the flod,
And I mon waxe wod.
Sulch sorw I walke with
For beste of bon and blod.
- Ch1 - Intro
- Ch2 - The Challenge of the Text
- Ch3 - A Close Reading
- Ch4 - Some Ways to Meaning
- Ch5 - Essence of the Short Poem - Emily Dickinson
- Ch6 - Medieval Songs and Philosophy
- Ch7 - A History of Authorship
- Ch8 - 99% Perspiration
- **Ch9 - Related Works
- **Ch10 - Who’s Your Daddy?
- **Ch11 - Authorship and Ego
- **Ch12 - Poetry Challenges the Sacred
- Ch13 - Romantic Ego, Disintegration, and the Book
- **Ch14 - Authors Absent and Present
- Ch15 - BeFowling the CanonCanon means "center," and a literary canon is a set of works... More
- Ch16 - Reason in the Frith
- Ch 17 - Outro
**Available to our members on Episode 2+ (the full bonus episode)
Several years ago, I created a series of videos that examined various facets of literary theory. Here is one, a discussion between a student and T.S. Eliot which argues how the New Critics understand the Intentional FallacySeeking the meaning of a work from the author is a mistake, ... More and making meaning from the text.
Bibliography for Main Episode
Bibliography for Intentional Fallacy Supplement
Barthes, Roland. “‘The Death of the Author.’” Image, Music, Text, 1977, sites.tufts.edu/english292b/files/2012/01/Barthes-The-Death-of-the-Author.pdf.
Fernflores, Rachel. “Beyond the Intentional FallacySeeking the meaning of a work from the author is a mistake, ... More.” Literature and AestheticsThe study of feelings, concepts, and judgments arising from ... More, Dec. 2010, https://openjournals.library.sydney.edu.au/index.php/LA/article/view/5024.
Original music for The Waywords Podcast is by Randon Myles
Chapter headings by Natalie Harrison and Sarah Skaleski
Cite this podcast with MLA format:
Chisnell, Steve. “Anonymous - ‘Fowls in the Frith.’” Waywords Studio, 5 Nov. 2021, https://waywordsstudio.com/project/anonymous-fowls-in-the-frith/.
Waywords Studio Newsletter
Get updates on new content, bonus materials, and weekly freebies from Waywords!
Maybe you are just learning about literature and language, maybe you are teaching it, or maybe you are just a lover of words! We have something special for everyone!